Monday, November 19, 2012

Vegan Forever

About 2 months ago, I decided to embark on this wild & crazy adventure--a vegan adventure!  After some friends mentioned their success on the Engine 2 Diet, I decided to try it for myself.  Being the skeptic that I am, I wasn't just going to see what happened.  I needed documentation.  So, I went to the doctor and had some basic blood work done. 

That was the first eye-opener.  For a fairly young mother of four, who exercises semi-regularly, and has even done crazy things like running a half-marathon; I was not as fit as my body tried to tell me!  My beginning numbers looked like this:

  • Weight--149 pounds
  • Height--5ft 4in
  • Glucose--99
  • Triglyceride--88
  • Cholesterol--197
  • LDL--131
  • HDL--52
  • BMI--25.6 (overweight)
While these numbers are well within the "normal" range*, I have recently witnessed the horribly painful death of someone very close to me because of poor heart health.  I definitely understand that you cannot predict the day or time that you die, and that it is futile to try to prevent your body from aging.  But, I also firmly believe that we were given these earthly bodies as a gift from God, and we are to care for them like we do anything else on this earth--to the best of our abilities. 

*And, anyone who knows me also knows that I'm just not very good at accepting the "normal" label. 

I tried this Engine 2 Diet for 7 1/2 weeks, and I liked it.  Now, there were some recipes that we are definitely NOT trying again.  I did find some that are now weekly dinners, and I have some others that I can go to in a pinch.  I have even become confident enough to look at recipes online and find the ones that apply to the way I want to eat.  (I'm not quite to the point of being able to craft my own recipes, but I might be willing to attempt one soon!)

After my time was up, I went back to the doctor to have my bloodwork redrawn.  Because my glucose was normal and the insurance wouldn't pay for a new test, I just did the lipid profile.  When the PA called with the test results, she was obviously excited.  Not only had I lost weight, but my choloesterol had dropped significantly.  So, for those who are interested, these are my NEW, shiny numbers:

  • Weight--134 pounds
  • Height--5ft 4in
  • Glucose--***
  • Triglyceride--34
  • Cholesterol--148
  • LDL--96
  • HDL--47
  • BMI--23.0 (Healthy)
My plan was to try this "diet" for a month, maybe two.  I think a better plan might be for me just to make a change in my life to accomodate some healthy eating.  My body is telling me it just might be worth it!

2 comments:

  1. woot! that's amazing to see the numbers drop so drastically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you for sticking to it so long! Looking at the numbers, it was obviously worth the challenges along the way.

    ReplyDelete