Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sausage & Lentils

A friend of mine is having a frugal recipe contest on her blog, Coupon Newbie.  I remember a lot of things that my Mom used to cook for us, Roast & Potatoes (yummy!!), Breakfast for Dinner (my fave!) and Hot Dogs (always my birthday pick!).  Being the kid I was, I didn't know when she was serving a "frugal" meal, though.  I just knew what I liked and what I didn't. 

So, I called her to find out what she fixed when money was a little tight.  This is the one I remember and am going to start feeding my family (even if money isn't tight.)  It's that yummy!

I'm adding in prices so you can see just how much little it costs.

1 pkg. smoked sausage ($2.50-$3.00)
1 lb. lentils ($1)

Start cooking lentils according to package.  When lentils are almost done, cut smoked sausage on a diagonal and cook for just a few minutes in a skillet.  Drain on paper towels.  Add to the lentils.  Salt and pepper to taste.  (You can experiment with different seasonings to fit your family's taste.  My husband loves to spice it up with peppers & Tabasco; I prefer it with just some seasoning salt and onion.)

You can fix this with potatoes ($3.00/5 lb.) or pita bread ($2/8) or a tossed salad.  Even if you fixed all of this (which would feed 6-8 people), you would probably have a meal for about $11.  Definitely frugal fare!!

Yum! Now I'm hungry, and I know what we're having for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment